Sunday, January 06, 2008

climb every mountain

"Adventure can be a real happiness," read my fortune cookie this evening.

I like to think of grad school as my current adventure. Sure, I'm not traveling the world or even changing it (yet), but there are certainly elements of adventure in this undertaking. It's new, it's challenging, ever-changing, requires flexibility and initiative on my part, few undertake this, and sometimes it scares the shit out of me. If that doesn't sound adventurous, then I don't know what does.

I don't write this to brag, and those of you who know me well probably already realize this. I write this because sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing, and whether or not I'll make it. When I start having these doubts, reframing this crazy experience as an adventure helps. In less than two days, I return to the adventure. I've made it part of the way up the mountain; now it's time to grab my pack and continue climbing.




Note - Why was I never taken over by the irresistible urge to spin around Julie Andrews-style during my time in the Swiss Alps?

6 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

in answer to that last question... i have no idea! 'cause i would have been.

and i LOVE that you're finally looking at what you're doing as an adventure. i admire you for embarking upon it, and i know you'll be thrilled at the end of it.

Ben said...

You just weren't dressed for the occasion. Make a note of it for next time.

crackers and cheese said...

Dang it, I did leave my dress and apron back at the hostel.

Anonymous said...

We'll have to spin, Julie Andrews style, in our next adventure to the Swiss Alps.

Good luck on the adventure at hand. :)

P.s. Did you ever send me your mailing address at school?

Cara said...

what a great way to look at your time in grad school. you really have embarked on an adventure.

Sher said...

Ha ha! I've been to the Swiss Alps too! But in winter when everything was covered with lots of snow! SOOOOO pretty! But my Sound of Music moment was when my plane landed in Austria and I started singing "The Hills are Alive...with the sound of music." Everyone around me thought I was weird....