Monday, June 29, 2009

mysteries of children

I claim that I'm not good with kids, but some children seem determined to prove me a liar. And when they do, I'm grateful because there's nothing quite like having a 4 month old baby fall asleep in my arms while I'm holding him or snuggling up with a toddler in my lap. I suppose I treat little children like cats in that I don't rush over to pick them up or play with them, but when they approach me and want my affection, I feel honored and blessed and happy to oblige them.

Today, not quite two-year-old little Zoe climbed up onto my lap while I sat at Ari's kitchen table. Uninvited but welcome, she took one bite of her apple slice while I munched on mine.

"Do you think she remembers me?" I asked, referring back to a year ago when I was more of a presence in Zoe's life, "Or is she just friendly with everyone?"

"She's definitely doesn't approach everyone like that," Ari replied, "But sometimes it almost seems like she seeks out people that need love from her right now."

And love from a precious blonde-haired, blue-eyed, smiling, babbling child I was happy to receive and to give back to her.

Maybe I am ok with kids. Or maybe there are certain children and certain times when we are both just perfect for each other.

3 comments:

Laura said...

this got an audible "aww" out of me...yes, me (Who often looks at children slightly horrified thinking, "I don't know what to do with it...what does it want from me?") Someday we'll be better at it I think :) (PS I'm not trying to say I'm pregnant, no worries)

crackers and cheese said...

Haha, don't worry, I didn't interpret "someday" to mean "someday within the next 9 months!"

Tahni Candelaria said...

so precious!!!! i want some baby love!